Tuesday, September 13, 2011

- Falling for Fall

I love the Weather Channel app on my phone.  When it's not highlighted it shows the outside temperature which means I no longer have to open MacDaddy or even my iPad to figure out how I need to dress.  Per usual, I love anything that allows me to reach a deeper level of laziness.

Today the little square was red...which means that there is a severe weather warning, or some kind of advisory.  That seemed odd because the sun was shining and even though it was cooler today, it was pretty much gorge(ous).  When I clicked on it to see what was up, do you know what that mofo said?

FREEZE WARNING.

Y'all it's September 13th...and there is a freeze warning up in here.  Let me get real with you.  I have not been in denial.  I have seen the signs.  The trees have their beginnings of leaves turning and even the Travel section of the Sunday paper was all about heading north to see the colors because it is supposed to be the most vibrant changing of the colors EVER.  Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, perhaps the best in the most recent 20 years.  Regardless the main message is this: everyone get your butt north to Duluth or even farther and look at those glorious leaves, or else!

So, yeah.  I knew fall was coming.

And here's the kicker - I don't care.

I know that it will be the shortest season ever and that soon it will be snowing and then be full on Winter and that will be the longest season ever and I will probably die.  (Minnesotans tend to get all complain-y: I'm practicing.)  But seriously, I think Fall is my favorite season.  It's hard to pick a favorite, because every year, when the seasons first change, that new season is my favorite.  But, I think Fall really does take the cake.

Here are some things I'm looking forward to:
  1. The leaves.  Have we talked about those enough?  Aside from the colors, I love the way they crunch under your feet and cover the ground and the sound they make when they blow across the street.  Plus, Emma likes to chase them and that's just adorableness.
  2. Apples.  Up here the whole apple orchard thing is huge and people go and pick them and so help me Jebus, I am going to make some fantastic apple pies.  Lots of them.  From scratch.  Maybe even apple cider.  We'll see how crazy I get.
  3. While we're talking about food, I am WAY excited about PUMPKINS.  I'm in total Forrest Gump mode thinking about pumpkin gnocchi, pumpkin soup, pumpkin cream cheese truffles, pumpkin spice fudge, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pancakes, and pumpkin spiced lattes! I'm also excited about decorating with pumpkins - I'm thinking white ones - and perhaps some that get the glitter treatment.
  4. Fall fashion.  Oh Em Gee how I love to wear leggings and long cardigans and knee high socks and boots!  And tights!  It's going to just be magical.  Except when I'm broke from buying all of the leggings and boots and tights and socks.
  5. Rugby.  Mams is going to want to take the credit for this one because she was all "Do they have rugby up there?  You should go to a game"...but her suggestion only reminded that I that previously googled this but at the time they were in between seasons and that I should re-check on this because there was a fall season that should be starting up soon.  (That was a WAY long sentence.)  I googled right in time to catch the first game of the "fall" season and so I went because Karen was in town and looked favorably upon this plan.  And then I went again.  And again.  80% of the reason I'm going back is because I really enjoy watching the games (seriously that's one of the most entertaining sports ever, way better than football - even though I am being forced into watching the Vikings)...the other 20% might have something to do with the hot guys that are playing the rugby.  (Side note: Let's just get this out of the way now - yes Mom I have met some of them and yes I went to a rugby party and it was all you can drink High Life, Jameson and rail drinks for the first 3 hours and it deteriorated into ridiculousness as rugby parties often do and it took me DAYS to recover.  So, rugby guys are a "special breed" but they appear to be that same "special breed" everywhere.)  Also you know what you can drink when you watch rugby?  Pumpkin beer!  And you know what you can wear?  Legging and boots!  Yeah, that's kind of my new favorite fall activity...which is perfect since it's a Rugby World Cup year!  If you know me at all, you know that I have no problem whatsoever getting into a huge worldwide sports event, so don't think I'm not keeping up with it and watching the few matches that NBC is going to show.  Because I am.  Rock on Samoa and Scotland and Canada.
Oh Fall...It's the most wonderful time of the year!

No comments: